Effect of farm yard manure and planting densities on growth, yield and quality of okra under natural farming
A field study was conducted to investigate the effect of farm yard manure and planting densities (P x P 10, 15, 20 and 25 cm and R x R 60 cm) under natural farming condition at National Agricultural Research Centre, Islamabad during 2016. The land was incorporated with well rotten farm yard manure (FYM) @ 25 t ha-1 in respective plots (4 x 8 meter) one week before bed preparation and mixed thoroughly in the soil. Seeds of okra (Abelmoschus esculentus L., var. Pusa Green) were sown according to the plan following split plot design with four replications. The crop was allowed to stand till maturity and data on growth traits were recorded. Among plant densities, 10 and 15 cm P x P and FYM incorporation @ 25 t ha-1 produced comparable fresh pod yield (11.22 and 10.97 t ha-1, respectively) which was 25 and 24 % higher than that of without FYM application. Dense populated crop i.e., 10 and 15 cm P x P performed better than rest of planting densities through improved fresh pod yield with comparatively improved quality. Dense populated treatment (P x P 10 cm) and FYM application @ 25 t ha-1 produced better quality fruits with less crude fiber content (9.89 %) and higher moisture content (79.14%) as compared to without FYM application (10.93 and 77.49 %) respectively that indicates more accumulation of dry matter content in fruits.
2. Anilkumar L, Malarkodi K. Combined seed enhancement technique involving seed priming and coating for improvised anatomical potential and vigour of okra seeds (Abelmoschus esculentus L.). Journal of Phytology. 2019;11:25-31.
3. Gaur ACR, Rao VS, Sadasivam KV. Soil structure as influenced by organic matter and inorganic fertilizers Labden. J. Sci Technol India, 1972;10-B: 55.
4. Subbarao TSS, Ravi Shankar C. Effect of organic manures on growth and yield of brinjal. South Indian Horticulture. 49(Special): 2001;288-291
5. Dileep SN. Studies on effect of organic manures on the productivity and quality of chilli CV K1, MSC (Hort). Thesis. TNAU, Coimbatore. 2005.
6. Ijoyah MO, Dzer DM. Yield Performance of okra and maize as affected by time of planting maize in Makurdi, Nigeria. Agronomy. 2012;12:1–7.
7. Amjad M, Anjum MA, Ali A. Effects of phosphorus and planting density on seed production in Okra (Abelmoschus esculentus L. Moench). Intl. J. Agr. Biol. 2001; 3(4):380-383.
8. Ibeawuchi II, Obiefuna JC , Ofoh MC. Effects of row spacing on yield and yield components of okra and mixture groundnut. J. Agron. 2005;4:304-307.
9. Moniruzzaman M, Uddin MZ, Choudhury AK. Response of okra seed crop to sowing time and plant spacing in south eastern hilly region of Bangladesh. Bangladesh Journal of Agricultural Research. 2007;32(3):393–402.
10. Asian Vegetable Research Development Council. Vegetable research and development in the 1990’s- a strategic plan. AVRDC Publication, Shanhua, Taiwan. 1991.
11. De Lannoy G. Vegetables: Crop production in Tropical Africa, p. 403–511. Directorate General for Intl. Cooperation, Brussels, Belgium. 2001.
12. Bouyoucos G.J. Hydrometer method improved for making particle size analysis of soil. Agronomy Journal. 1962;54: 464-65.
13. Nelson SW, Sommers IE. Total carbon, organic carbon and organic matter. p. 539-580. In: Methods of Soil Analysis. Part-II. Chemical and Microbial Properties. A.L Page, (ed.) Amer. Soc. Agron. Madison, Wisconsin, USA. 1982.
14. Ryan J, Estefan G, Rashid A. Soil and Plant Analysis Laboratory Manual, p: 172. International Center for Agricultural Research in the Dry Areas (ICARDA), Aleppo, Syria, 2001.
15. Gomez KA, Gomez AA. Statistical procedure for agricultural research, 2nd Ed., John Wiley and Sons., New York, USA. 1984.
16. Premsekhar M, Rajashree V. Influence of organic manures on growth, yield and quality of okra. American-Eurasian Journal of Sustainable Agriculture. 2009;3(1):6-8.
17. Gopalakrishnan TR. Vegetable Crops. Horticultural Science Series. 2007;4. pp: 32-33.
18. Tiamiyu RA, Ahmed HG, Muhammad AS. Effect of sources of organic manure on growth and yields of okra (Abelmoschus esculentus L.) in Sokoto, Nigeria. Nigerian J. Basic and Appl. Sci., 2012; 20(3): 213-216.
19. Anburani A, Manivannan K. Effect of integrated nutrient management on growth in brinjal. South Indian Horticulture. 2002;0(4-6):377-386.
20. Nehra AS, Hooda IS, Singh KP. Effect of integrated nutrient management on growth and yield of wheat (Triticurn aestivum L.) Indian Journal of Agronomy. 2001;45:112-17.
21. Sanwal SK, K. Lakminarayana RK,Yadav N, Rai DS, Yadav, Mousumi B. Effect of organic manures on soil fertility, growth, physiology, yield and quality of turmeric. Indian Journal of Horticulture. 2007;64(4): 444-449.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.